Thursday 16 August 2012

A next door fairy tale (part 9)

Part 1 || Part 2 || Part3 || Part 4 || Part 5 || Part 6 || Part 7 || Part 8 || Part 10


I went to my dad and started a small talk. I asked him what Karthik was doing. He said that Karthik had completed hid Engineering and had got placed in Google. I asked dad where he was then. Dad said me he had taken a house for rent and was staying there in Mumbai itself for a couple of months. Dad then asked me "how come you remember him suddenly? Don't you know where he is or what he is doing? You people used to be very close before. What happened?" I started crying. Then dad asked me if I was ok? I just replied "book me a flight ticket to Mumbai immediately. Please don't ask me anything. I want to see him NOW and that is it". Dad didn't question me much. He got me a ticket for that day night. 

I didn't know what I would do once I got down in Mumbai. My ego didn't let me get Karthik's address from dad and when I didn't have the guts to mail him and ask for his address. I didn't know whether I was doing the right thing by just appearing back again in his life just like that after years. There were other fears too. I didn't know how to contact him, where to go, whom to meet or where to stay. I didn't have a return ticket and also enough money to buy the same. I knew dad would take care of all that but I didn't feel like asking him. But the worst fear of all was what to speak, what to say when I meet him. I have never apologized to anyone in my life even if the mistake was mine. I had always been the pampered kid/friend. I didn't know how to apologize too. But there I was with a bag in my hand in Chennai airport boarding the flight. I left everything to fate and just closed my eyes and dreamt about all those beautiful moments I had with Karthik. Looking back I felt that I wasn't that young at 6th grade. I did have a crush on him even then. I used to walk like him, talk like him and sometimes dress up like him. I remembered the times I used to wear his shirt and would pick up a fight with him and never return him back. I remembered those times when he hated pressing his shirt before school and I did it for him and got Natura as a treat for it. I remembered wearing my right shoe first (though I was a left handed) because he did so. All those little memories which I thought that I had forgotten came rushing back to me. I was filled with mixed emotions. I was smiling through my tears and the flight landed in Mumbai airport at the same time.

I came out. I took my luggage and when I came near the exit gate, I noticed someone holding a plank card with my name on it. I waved my hand and the driver took my luggage to the car. Must be dad's work, I thought. I thanked god for those little mercies and got in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment